December 24, 2011
For 2012, we need to make a statement to the super rich. Pay what we pay, or we will take it all away from you.
How do you ask? Well...
1) move to a locally based bank or credit union
2) shop and eat local
3) avoid adding more debt that you can't pay by buying trash
4) buy American
5) buy union
Will that change everything? No. But, it will start us out in the right direction.
1) Changing banks will actually take your money away from them. At my credit union, I get higher interest on my money then any big bank would give me. Because I'm not investing thousands of dollars, big banks don't give me the time of day. If you can, move your credit cards and loans there too.
2) Shopping and eating local is harder. If you can, shop at a locally owned store that sells food grown near you. It may be a little more but you helping those that want to help you too. I won't get in to the way our food is grown in this list, but I will in the future.
3) Start a war on the useless garbage and the substandard quality we all seem to accept. Why do we buy stuff that doesn't last as long as it should? Read the box, see what the manufacturer says it should last. In my field of expertise, I will give two examples.
The first is the promotional mattress. I sell you a mattress for $339. It has a 1year warranty. Next to it is a better made bed for $399. It has a 10 year warranty. Are you worth $60? Is nine years worth $60?
Second is the 22" carry-on piece of luggage. For $69.99, I can sell you a carry-on that will last you about a year. You bought this same style of bag every year for the last 8 Christmas seasons. I could sell you a bag for $199.99 that will last an average of five to six years. Or, I sell you a bag with a lifetime of 3rd party damage repairs for $399.99. A bag the heavy business will never *need* to replace. A small investment now means that you can keep your bag longer.
4) If it wasn't made here, why buy it here? In the above examples I describe mattresses that are on the bargain end of the price scale. The part I left out is that those beds were both made by the same company in Portland, OR, by a factory I have personally visited. However, that luggage I described is all made in Asia. Finding luggage made on this side of the planet is hard. Not impossible is we the consumer demand US made products. Check out the basic things next time you are shopping and look for US made products.
5) The last one is a little more heated in some circles. Not all people believe unions help the worker and many believe it drives the cost of business higher. I disagree...but you knew that already. I am very pro-union because it does create an important set of rules that go above and beyond the minimum level of care an employer has to put in. It levels the playing field when people get raises, ensures more people have proper medical coverage, and most importantly creates a support network for making sure they are treated fairly.
If we can do all 5 of those things, I believe we can make sure the "Job Creators" get the message we are tired of being dumped on. No more trash products. We gave these people their power and we can take it back!
November 21, 2011
November 9, 2011
Costco has won and we are screwed!
I hope you are happy because I'm ready to barf.
Day of mourning to be announced later.
October 7, 2011
October 6, 2011
Then there is the cost to the budget. Our state loses out on the sales revenue. That money goes in to educating our kids, patrolling our freeways, and paying the state government salaries. Are you listening state congressmen and senators?
This is not what Washington needs!
I beg you, vote No on I-1183
September 30, 2011
September 13, 2011
My call came up on the FCC database this afternoon and I am excited. It's not so bad that I need a vanity call thank goodness!
Finally ordered a handy-talkie from HRO today. I got the Wouxun KG-UV3D-2/UHF and am looking forward to making my first contact.
I'll be listening/watching Ham Nation with a different frame of mind from now on that's for sure!
73 and see you on the air!
September 7, 2011
General: FAIL (not a surprise since I didn't really study)
I should be getting my call letters in about a week.
Now to pick out a nice handheld radio...
I'll keep you posted!
August 31, 2011
To keep it short and sweet:
NO on I-1183
August 9, 2011
Also that day I have my annual eye appointment...finally. I've been waiting for 2 weeks!
The upside to this is that I will have at least one review to post.
July 10, 2011
We also saw the new clouded leopard cubs. They are so cute right now.
Overall the day was fantastic!
July 6, 2011
June 25, 2011
June 22, 2011
June 9, 2011
May 18, 2011
April 24, 2011
I'll keep you posted, but feel free to comment if you have a suggestion!
I don't see any reasons to go backwards now.
April 21, 2011
April 18, 2011
Photos of the event (as well as past years) can be found on my photo site photos.jento.mobi If you are having problems, please let me know and I will see what I can do to help you out.
March 29, 2011
First off, I still am watching in hope for all the problems in Japan.
I finally found a pair of shoes at Norstrom Rack. A pair of white Nike Air Max whose pictures are going up soon. Just need one more pair of regular shoes and a pair of work shoes.
Kelly and I had a great 8th anniversary last week.
That's about it. Anything else and I'll post it here!
March 8, 2011
Played around at the Renton Ross, Marchals, and at Fry's...didn't find anything I *needed*, but got some good ideas for the future.
February 23, 2011
The photos can bee seen, as well as all the others I've posted, at photos.jento.mobi
February 22, 2011
February 16, 2011
I followed it up by Michael Pallen's book "In Defense of Food" and that is helping me in ways to eat better as well.
February 10, 2011
February 7, 2011
February 5, 2011
The patches look great and set well.
Found out I will be going to jury duty Monday but it's not that bad...except that I have to be up at 5am
Well off to work I go. Making magic in my wake
January 26, 2011
Next, we went shopping for eBook readers. So far the Kobo and the Nook look the best.
This afternoon, my older brother came over and helped us fix some potholes on our driveway. They look good so far. Now to wait 3 days for them to cure!
January 19, 2011
Also sent in some incentive points to get verified. Hopefully that means I can get some more money for March bill payments. My goal is to get these cards paid back down after Christmas and birthday spending.
Ends up today will be the pre-shopping trip to Verizon.
January 18, 2011
January 16, 2011
They forget to tell you that the Volt, like the Prius, is a high price rental. At $100-$200* per day, I would still expect to be charged if I don't. Now to find an extension cord to go from the hotel room to my car.
* Rate based on added options, insurance, and how well you bargained you daily rate.
This is just too much!
January 15, 2011
January 14, 2011
Finished getting my Windows Home Server Vail Preview machine working again. Easy enough fix but it would have been nice if they would have told somebody ahead of time. The Connect site doesn't say anything! Hopefully the newest beta refresh doesn't ruin it totally.
Keep planning to get my shoe collection orginized and recataloged so I can sell what I don't wear and publish the pictures for what I'm keeping. Still hoping to find people to just swap one-for-one but I'm not gonna hold my breath. Maybe I can afford some new pairs from the sales of old. If I'm really lucky I can get some new camera or sports gear too. Depends on what people are willing to pay.
Well off to get ready for another day in the Mattress department.
January 13, 2011
Went with my mom yesterday to spend her 2 Fashion Bug gift cards. I recommended Catherine's or Lane Bryant but she was focused. The manager was as rude as ever. I would have thought after the last run in they would have learned. Sigh!
On the up side, the spaghetti sauce we cooked came out excellent!
January 12, 2011
August: Got a new computer since the motherboard on my last one died in the middle of a BIOS flash. Another HP from Fry's and I like it. Turned the old one in to a Windows Home Server with a new motherboard. Also bought a Technet Standard subscription. For my birthday we went to Point Defiance Zoo. Pictures availible on my photos page http://sn.im/1tsvyl.
September: Kelly also got a new computer to replace his Mac G4 running OS 10.4 (Tiger). For his birthday, we went to Woodland Park Zoo. Pictures availible on my photos page http://sn.im/1tsvyl.
October: Not much of interest except finding a pair of football pants at Ross.
November: Going to to my least favorite time of year. Work gets slow for me but crazy for the rest of the store. Hello late hours, goodbye sleep. Also had some of the worst snow in a long time.
Thanksgiving was nice and quiet.
December: No snow and crazier hours!
Christmas was again nice and quiet.
January (month to date): Taking some time off this last weekend and more next week. Had a jury summons, but court was canceled. Not to worry though, I got a new summons for Febuary....sigh.